The City of Lexington has the following full-time position opening:
Position: Library Assistant II / Youth and Family Services
Status: 40 hours / week Non-exempt
Schedule may include evening and weekend hours, as needed.
The Youth / Family Services Librarian performs general library duties and directs the
organization and operation of the Youth Services department.
• Ability to design, promote, present, and evaluate a variety of programs for
children of all ages and their families.
• Compile essential statistics and records regarding program participation and
• Ability and desire to work with children and young adults individually and in
• Act as a liaison to the Lexington Public Schools, home schools and community
• Maintain a knowledge of children’s literature from infant to young adult.
• Provide reader’s advisory for children and families.
• Assist with the maintenance of a collection that is relevant and innovative,
including books, board books, audiobooks, media, and other items appropriate
for young children and families.
• Provide quality customer service, especially for youth, in person, on the
telephone, and via email and other forms of electronic communication.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Computer skills including email, scanning, MS Word, Excel, library apps and
• Ability to maintain cooperative working relationships with coworkers and the
• Valid Nebraska driver’s license.
• Minimum high school diploma or GED.
• Needs to be certified by the Nebraska Library Commission within three years.
• Minimum two years working with children preferred
• Bilingual / Biliterate preferred
• Health Insurance • Dental Insurance • Vision Plan
• Life Insurance • Vacation/Sick Leave • Pension Plan
• Holidays • Fitness Center Membership • Range: $14 – $17/hour
The City of Lexington is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applications will be accepted
until position filled, and may be obtained at Nebraska Dept of Labor, 1501 Plum Creek
Parkway, Suite #3, Lexington, NE 68850, 308-324-2064 or online at
https://dol.nebraska.gov; Lexington Public Library, 907 N Washington, 308-324-2151; or
City of Lexington, 406 E. 7th Street, Lexington, NE 68850, 308-324-2341; or online at